The hemp plant and its parts have been used for medicinal and recreational purposes for thousands of years, so it’s no wonder many are wondering if CBD is a good choice for sleep. Especially since hemp components such as CBD (cannabidiol) have become very popular in the last few years due to their effect. But let’s talk about everything from the beginning.
CBD and THC: what’s the difference?
THC and CBD affect your brain differently. THC is a psychoactive component: it can affect your psyche, cause intoxication and unpleasant sensations. Meanwhile, CBD is not a hallucinogen. On the contrary, this cannabinoid is known for its benefits to physical health and emotional well-being.
If you have difficulty falling asleep or have other sleep-related problems, this article is just for you!
Why is sleep important?
- Mental health;
- Stress level;
- Strength of the immune system;
- Brain activity;
- Cardiovascular activity;
- Inflammatory processes in the body;
- Energy, physical activity;
and much more. Good sleep is essential for everyone.
CBD for sleep: what do studies say?
In 2019, a study was conducted, analysing CBD and sleep. It involved 103 participants who felt anxious, complained of poor sleep and experienced difficulty falling asleep. In this study, researchers wanted to determine whether CBD helped improve sleep quality in general and how much CBD the human body needed. The amount of CBD given to study participants ranged from 25 to 120 mg.
A dose of 25 mg of cannabidiol was found to be the most effective in relieving anxiety and stress, but higher doses were needed to treat more serious sleep disorders.
The study lasted for three months: participants were given different doses of CBD each month. For example, after one month, 66.7% of people reported that their sleep improved with CBD. After changing the dose the following month, 56.1% of participants agreed that their sleep was better than before.
Based on this and other studies, researchers conclude that while CBD can help people fall asleep in the short term, the dose must be properly regulated.
How does CBD affect your sleep?
According to experts, CBD for sleep is associated with the effects of cannabidiol on cortisol. It is known as the stress hormone. Cortisol levels in the body are usually highest in the morning, but people with insomnia or other sleep disorders may have high cortisol levels even at night. High levels of this hormone make it difficult to relax, fall asleep, and can lead to frequent awakenings at night. In 2019, the study mentioned in this article showed a significant reduction in cortisol levels when participants took their CBD oil.
This suggests that cannabidiol reduces the release of cortisol during the night and acts as a sedative and as a tension and stress reliever.
Another 6 things you should know about CBD
2. Remember that CBD oils have quite a few differences between them. It also happens that people use a product that is too mild for them, e.g. CBD isolate, so the benefits are harder to feel. If that’s how you feel, it’s worth trying full-spectrum or broad-spectrum CBD oil – its effect is more intense and faster.
3. CBD can also stimulate. For some people, CBD can actually be stimulating rather than sedating. This may be related to the specific CBD product they are using.
4. CBD and addiction. People often worry that cannabidiol can be physically addictive. There’s no need to panic: CBD has been shown to be non-addictive and safe for most people.
5. Side effects of cannabidiol. Unlike THC, CBD does not have any strong side effects. In very rare cases, such effects as a change in appetite, constipation, dry mouth and general fatigue may occur. These sensations are temporary and quick to disappear.
6. CBD interaction with medications. While it’s a rare thing, CBD may slightly interact with some prescription medications and blood thinners. So, consult your doctor if you take such medications.
In the bottom line
CBD for sleep is an expert-approved product that will help you fall asleep faster and get a good night’s rest – it’s time you tried it!