With CBD oil gaining more attention for its sedative, sleep-enhancing and pain-relieving effects in humans, it’s no surprise that CBD oil for cats is also becoming a hot topic.
CBD, a natural cannabinoid extracted from hemp, contributes to a wellness routine for both humans and pets. Cannabidiol can help calm and relax your cat, allowing you to deal with certain health and even behavioural problems.
Responsible cat owners are constantly concerned about the health of their pets, but cannabidiol is completely new territory for many. It’s no wonder your cat might be hesitant to try this product. That’s why we share all relevant information about cannabidiol. Find out what CBD oil does for cats, how it works and how to choose the best product for your pet.
CBD for cats: what you need to know
THC is a psychoactive substance, meaning that adequate amounts of this chemical compound can have psychoactive effects. Like alcohol, THC can alter perception, mood and behaviour when consumed. In Lithuania, THC content in products is allowed up to 0.2%, but this substance is harmful to pets, so you cannot give your cat CBD products with THC.
CBD (cannabidiol) is highly valued for its healing, restorative and health-promoting properties. It has no intoxicating or psychoactive effects. Many scientific studies have proven that CBD is safe and beneficial not only for humans but also for animals. It is a cannabinoid used to solve many different problems: it relaxes muscles, relieves the pain of various origins and improves digestion, better sleep, the condition of skin, hair, etc. CBD oil for cats can provide many benefits for your pet, so it is definitely worth trying.
What are the benefits of CBD oil for cats?
- Relieves joint pain caused by arthritis. Arthritis is one of the most common diseases in older cats. It irreversibly damages the joints, causing pain and mobility problems. Regular use of CBD reduces pain and increases mobility, making the cat feel better and more mobile;
- May improve digestion. Another problem that often affects cats is digestive disorders and increased stomach acidity. The pet may experience nausea, lose appetite or even develop stomach ulcers. Combined with a healthy diet, CBD oil for cats can maintain a good digestive system;
- Alleviates anxiety and depression. Cats, like many other pets, experience anxiety. It can be related to a change in environment, separation from owners, disease and other factors. Cannabidiol has a calming effect, so regular use of this product reduces the cat’s stress and anxiety, allowing it to relax. Studies have shown that CBD oil can also improve your cat’s mood by activating serotonin receptors in their brain, reducing anxiety and making them feel happier;
- Suppresses the growth and reproduction of cancer cells. Not only people suffer from oncological diseases. If your cat has been diagnosed with cancer, CBD can be a great addition to the treatment process. It can not only prevent the proliferation of cancer cells and slow down the disease process, but also relieve pain and discomfort caused by the disease, chemotherapy or medication. CBD will make your pet feel significantly better and more mobile, enabling it to fight this insidious disease more effectively. It has been proven by this study;
- Accelerates the recovery of the body. Cannabidiol offers humans and animals faster recovery after injuries, surgeries or medical procedures. CBD oil reduces inflammation, swelling and discomfort, helps prevent infections and gives your cat the opportunity to get back to normal faster;
- Improves the cat’s quality of life and overall health. Cannabidiol can be used not only to solve existing problems but also as a prophylactic treatment. CBD improves mood, helps prevent digestive problems and offers your cat healthy, soft and shiny fur.
Although CBD can help reduce anxiety, relieve pain and promote general well-being in cats, it is not a medication and is intended for regular use as part of a cat’s wellness routine.
Possible side effects of CBD oil
- Lack of appetite.
These problems can occur if a cat is given too much CBD. So, you should start with the lowest recommended dose, which is 2.5 mg of CBD. Once you make sure that your pet does not experience side effects, you can gradually increase the number amount of drops. It is usually recommended to use 0.5 to 1 mg of CBD for each kilogram of the pet’s weight, i.e. if your pet weighs 8 kg, you should not exceed 8 mg of CBD.
The best CBD oil for cats
- CBD isolate contains only cannabidiol, with no other chemical compounds found in hemp. It’s the purest type of oil, but its effects are weaker. It’s also one of the right choices for your pet.
- Full-spectrum cannabidiol contains a full range of cannabinoids, including a small amount of THC. This type of oil provides a strong effect and is good for humans, but the THC makes it unsuitable for cats.
- Broad-spectrum CBD contains all the same compounds as full-spectrum CBD, except THC. This type of CBD is also suitable for your beloved pet.
If you buy CBD oil online, pay attention to its quality. Look for the test results from a certified laboratory, carefully read the ingredient list and choose a product that contains only natural and safe ingredients.